I’ve been a busy bee in the crafting department and not so much with the blog.
Just completing a major yarn and fabric destash, I’ve decided to repurpose quite a bit of languishing stash into charitable knitting and sewing projects.
BTW, is it possible to ever completely destash?
In the past, I’ve knit for Afghans for Afghans. Conflict over there prevents any shipments. I’m knitting up quite the pile of mittens, hats and socks and sitting tight. I’ve my eye on another charity, however, called Wool Aid (Rav link) (Website Link). I found them on Ravelry. Depending on what happens with A4A, I may send a box off to Wool Aid.
I’ll photograph these later.
There’s another charitable knitting group on Ravelry that knits and sews for Syrian refugees. It’s called Hats and More for War Torn Syria. I’ve been piecing up children’s quilt tops from bright fabrics in my stash that need a good home. There’s a gal that volunteers to long arm quilt and bind any top sent to her. What a saint! It would take me hours to do that. She can zip those out in a flash. I love piecing. I don’t care for quilting once I’ve pieced. What a match up!
The three quilt tops I’ve made up so far:
This one below is mostly from leftover fat quarters from a grouping I purchased. The pattern I used is Sunsprite by Villa Rosa Designs. I just love their simple designs. Check out their website.
A plus to these projects is the license to create, to go patternless, to really stretch what you can to with odds and ends. Below, I made a coin stack of scraps using fabric as a foundation. I then applied strips to frame it and add more width.
This last top started out as a cute border print I purchased ages ago with no intended project. I split it up and inserted a strip of leftover blocks from my niece’s quilt.
Quilts are to be about 45-50″ in width and 50-60″ long. It’s a great size for a manageable project. I’ll be making many more.